Monday, July 2, 2012

Kunthou SOK: Way of Success

By Chan Panha CHHOUN

Mr. Kunthou SOK, photo courtesy of University of Wollondong

Knowledge is the fertilizer for human to growth themselves in healthy position. Just like that everyone needs to be educated to enhance their own capacity. Now take a look into one individual nice man who has both strong ethical and high knowledge. He is such a generous and practical man who has a good heart and be full of wisdom in his education.

Mr. Kunthou Sok, is the character in here to present the good actor in the real life but not in the story. Many people who know him always admire him because he is a gentleman from sole to crown and clean favored, but laugh at his joy. Everyone wonders why his world seems so free and relaxed even if there are some strong demands in his studies. Sure, there is something special in his mind. So what is it?


Mr. Kunthou Sok is the master degree student majoring in International Studies at The University of Sydney.  He is the only Cambodian who studied this major in Sydney. At 26, Mr. Sok is just like the new car that keeps running forward to his goal without tiredness. Meanwhile, he feels free to go along the way by enjoying the view even he has been crossing the tight and rocky roads. So let’s see how he feels and does for studying aboard. By the nature of man, when he was away from the mother land, he sometimes wanted to go back without any consciousness. He rose up his deeply heart when he was asked that what did he feel when he just came Australia with his whole family. “I really miss Cambodia, especially my friends over there. Moreover, it was hard when my family and I just settled at the new country because everything was quite different for me even if Australia is a comfortable place to live.”         


Everything seemed normal for this out-going man. This just one of the corner of this personal life, another corner that is the place of his ideology is his educated area. This is extremely difficult to get over the challenging subjects which in the studying primarily concentrated in international affairs, norms, regimes, and institution, especially international relations in terms of economic and political as well as focus on the ideals of democracy and human rights in the universe. Those are so critical and hot issues in the global. Sure it’s harder for him rather than others as those are provided in English, that is the just the third languages for this hybrid man (Khmer and Chinese). Mr. Sok, just replied smoothly to those points that there were many challenges for him in studying this major. He said that he needed to have a broad knowledge in all past and emerging issues in this global affair. As the requirement to reach the fruitful income for this studying, he needed to conduct lots of research that are up to date of the current issues.


To add to his experience of studying, “To solve my problems, I need to be patient and spend more time to improve my English skill (critical reading/writing/thinking). The most important thing, I do it gradually without any rush and build my skill bit by bit and day by day because I know clearly that I cannot acquire those skills in short period of time, if I do, what I get is pressure and failure.”  He said.


A person having self-scarified and strong commitment in promoting happiness and collaborative work to build unity as whole, he had revealed what was his real goal. He started to say it out with the strong intention that he would like to go back to Cambodia and work in NGOs because he strongly believed they had done a good job to educate people on many fields which affect their everyday living as well as to help vulnerable people living in misery. Mr. Sok raised the statement, “I will spend my life time and all my knowledge as the tool to enhance quality of life and peace as a whole not only in Cambodia, that is my homeland, but also in the third world. All people should live in term of human dignity.”

It’s an honor for Cambodia to have him as a strong-willed  Cambodia man who can be proud of.


We asked him what was his secret method for success “No secret, it depends on own individual habit and own commitment. And for me I just take it easy, don’t give myself too much pressure, but I don’t use this as an excuse to be lazy (laugh). I need to understand the current issues, I do something that would help my understanding on the study areas  such as reading newspapers, scholars, academic articles, and reading many books which are related to my majors.  But once again take it easy,” he ended with a fresh smile on his face.


He strongly to encourage all students to study on what they interested in and can do out of the best of their capacity. “My study is challenging task for me, but is fascinating encouraging me to study hard and keep going.” " So I thinks everyone will feel the way as I do and keep going in no matter what," he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment