Sunday, July 8, 2012

Cambodia's Blessing Dance


by Yim Mary

Cambodian Blessing Dance (or Robam Choun Por in Khmer language) is a Khmer traditional dance from the repertoire of Cambodian classical ballet to mark special holidays in Cambodia.

This dance is performed by a group of young Khmer girls to wish for good health, happiness, prosperity and success. The blessing dance was first performed in Cambodia to rid the royal palace of evil spirits and bless the Royal Kingdom.  Today it is performed to bless events and welcome guests. 


Photo by Mary Yim

The dance features graceful and elegant movements, holding golden goblets. Inside the goblets are flower blossoms. The blossoms are symbolic representations of blessings from the Gods. As the dancers pluck the blossoms from the goblets and gently toss them forward toward the audience, the gesture symbolizes the blessings of the Gods falling upon the audience.


Traditional Dance - photo by Mary Yim

Eight year old Shrey Noy says she loves dancing because it is her dream to be a dancer when she was just 5 years old.  She added, “One day I watched TV show and saw beautiful girls performed classical dance. They are all so beautiful and the movement of their body are so graceful which fascinated me. I told my mum that I would like to learn how to dance. When I reach the age of six, my mom sent me to both dancing school and literature school.


Photo by Mary Yim

Vandy, 10 years old tells her experience. "I felt a bit nervous during my first performance since i never get a lot of exposure before."  She added that her parents appreciate with what she has been doing and was so proud of her.

Shrey Noch, 12 years old, also said that as a Khmer native, it’s her duty to keep the great traditions if classical Khmer dance.  

Ms. Samourn, 40 years old had six children. Three of them are performers of the said classical dance. Two of her daughters are classical dancer and the son is traditional dancer.  “I encourage not only my children but also other young people should be learn how to dance and let’s keep our Khmer tradition culture,” she said.

Forty-two years old Vothy’s wife is a classical dancer.  He first met her after her dancing performance show. 

1 comment: